Subject: Welcome to OpenBSD 2.3

From: [email-masked] (Theo de Raadt)
Date: Wed Apr 8 04:50:00 MDT 1998

This message attempts to describe the most basic first questions that a
system administrator of an OpenBSD box might have.  You are urged to save
this message for later reference.

For more information on how to setup your OpenBSD system, refer to the
"afterboot" man page.  If you are not familiar with how to read man pages,
type "man man" at a shell prompt and read the entire thing.  Pay specific
attention to the "man -k keyword" option, which will permit you to find the
man page you are looking for easier.  The GNU "info" subsystem is also
installed with further documentation resources; to read info pages type "info".

If you have installed the X11 packages during the install process, you can find
further information regarding configuration in the file /usr/X11R6/README.

Binary packages of emacs 20.2, bash 2.01.1, tcsh-6.07.02, and pine-3.96 are
available on most architectures. The files are in the directory
	ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.3/packages/
or	CD2:/packages/   (ie. mount /dev/cd0a /mnt; cd /mnt/packages)
Select your architecture and download the tarballs of your choice.  For example
to install the emacs package for i386, execute
   # pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.3/packages/i386/emacs-20.2.tgz

Other important packages not permitted on the CD (due to patents) are available
on our FTP servers (as described above).  In particular, we provide the USA and
international versions of ssh and pgp.  The filenames are ssh-usa-1.2.22.tgz,
ssh-intl-1.2.22.tgz, pgp-usa-2.6.3.tgz, and pgp-intl-2.6.3.tgz.
You are strongly urged to install one of the ssh packages and use ssh instead
of telnet, rlogin, or rsh.

Significant efforts were made to centralize all system configuration in the
/etc directory.  You should be able to find each of the configuration files
you seek there, lightly documented.  In particular, much of the configuration
has been centralized in the file /etc/rc.conf.  You should not need to ever
edit the file /etc/rc.   The files /etc/rc.securelevel and /etc/rc.local exist
for this purpose; the first is run before the system has gone into secure
mode; the second is run afterwards (if in doubt, add your tools to rc.local).

Please refer to our web pages for any other questions you might have.
	http://www.OpenBSD.org

OpenBSD is free software.  You can do with it as you like, subject to very few
conditions (described at www.OpenBSD.org/policy.html).  But free software isn't
written without money.  Network links, hardware costs, release engineering
and testing work; all these things take money and significant effort on the
part of those who have made this OpenBSD release what it is.  Please reward the
developers who have made OpenBSD what it is, and thus make it possible for this
wonderful process to continue.  For more information on how you can help,
please see www.OpenBSD.org/goals.html and visit www.OpenBSD.org/donations.html
to see a list of those who have donated money, equipment, or other resources
to ensure OpenBSD continues.  (Thus far, most of those who have donated have
been developers themselves.)

If you wish ensure that OpenBSD runs better on your machines, please do us
a favor (after have your mail system setup!) and type
	dmesg | mail [email-masked]
So that we can see what kinds of configurations people are running.  We will
use this information to improve device driver support in future releases.

(If you used 'mail' to read this message and it scrolled by too quickly,
type "more .")